Take the tour and explore our Center!
Description of the video:
The IUPUI Center for Young Children (CYC), located on campus in downtown Indianapolis, provides childcare and early childhood education for the University and Indianapolis communities. We offer year round programs for children ages 6 weeks – 5 years. We are currently licensed as a Level 3 on the Paths to Quality program – the state’s childcare quality rating system. As such we are approved to accept CCDF and On-My Way Pre-K program vouchers.
The center has 14 classrooms, 4 expansive multi-use areas and two separate playgrounds. The multi-use areas or “neighborhoods” This space is used daily as an extension of the classroom for a variety of activities to include physical exercise, play, and educational activities.
The main entrance is locked at all times and only accessible to parents and staff – likewise, a tall privacy fence wraps around the whole Center and playgrounds. On average, we have 100 total staff members – 24 full-time teachers and the remaining part-time staff members being students from the IUPUI School of Education.
Meals at the Center is provided by our campus food services provider, Chartwells. All meals are created by a registered dietician with Chartwells. The menu rotates every six weeks and we accommodate most dietary restrictions for health, medical and/ or religious customs.
We offer 4 types of childcare programs. The infant and toddler program provides care for children ages 6 weeks to around 2 years old.
The Infant Room schedule is the most flexible because each infant brings their own unique rhythm to the classroom. The program is built around their own personal daily schedule. The Toddler Room introduces more structure and routine to promote stability and security which is the foundation for future growth and development throughout the CYC. The Center provides formula, however, parents can choose to bring their preferred brand or bottled breast milk. Some activities include….
- Gross motor activities such as climbing and riding; and fine motor activities such as sensory table explorations and sorting and stacking toys
- Various books, songs and finger plays that are culturally diverse and developmentally appropriate
- An environment that encourages exploration and experimentation using the five senses
- Quality one-on-one time during care giving routines such as diapering, feeding, napping with plenty of dialogue and conversation to help promote language development
The Wee –School Room begins for children around 2 years old. Our Wee-School teachers plan days filled with a balance of quiet activities, spirited music and movement, and plenty of outdoor play. In this program, your child will experience…
- The use of Learning Centers for imaginary play, creative art projects and playtime with blocks, puzzles and books
- Various activities that explore and celebrate cultural diversity
- The practice of self-help skills including hand washing, putting on shoes, picking up toys and sharing with friends
- Circle time with stories and songs that help to encourage language skills
- Gross motor activities such as tip-toes; and fine motor activities such as crayon and marker use.
The Multi-age room is for children ages 3 – 5 years old. This is a unique experience compared to other schools in that children spend several years with the same teachers allowing the teacher to better understand each child’s strengths and needs to best support individual learning. In this regard, children are viewed as unique individuals and teaching focuses on harnessing the potential of each child’s individual strengths.
Additional benefits of the multi-age program include:
- Children become a family of learners who support and care for each other.
- Older children and children with higher skill levels have the opportunity to serve as mentors and to take leadership roles.
- Children are more likely to cooperate than compete.
- Children are invited to take charge of their learning, by making choices at centers and with project work. This gives them a sense of ownership and self-direction which are the foundation for lifelong learning.
- Children are more likely to cooperate than compete, making it possible for children to help each other as individuals, not see each other as competitors.
And lastly, we offer STEM Pre-K Program for children ages 4 – 5 years old.
The STEM preschool program provides age-appropriate curriculum designed for fundamental comprehension of science, technology, engineering and mathematical concepts. Our teachers guide student-led investigations that are project-based and introduces the scientific method into the learning process. Additionally, art, reading, writing and play time is included throughout the day providing a holistic learning experience. This innovative program allows children to explore their world and provides the foundations for continued intellectual and academic growth preparing them for future success!
If you would like more information or start the enrollment process, please visit childcare.iupui.edu.
- Monday, January 20, 2020
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Monday, May 25, 2020
- Friday, July 3, 2020
- Monday, September 7, 2020
- Thursday and Friday,
November 26 - 27, 2020
- Thursday, December 24, 2020 -
Friday, January 1, 2021
The Center also has the option of closing on the day before or the day after one of the recognized holidays.